Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Dove has landed!

Yeah! I made it to Costa Rica!!! It's been a whirlwind over the past few days.....I flew to Washington DC on Tuesday morning after getting no sleep Monday night because I was staying up too late squeezing toothpaste into 3 oz bottles and generally just being too excited to sleep! I arrived in Washington DC with no plan of how to get to the hotel that Peace Corps was setting us up in. On the flight I sat next to a lady who was from DC and we had the best conversation about Peace Corps and everything and she ended up offering to give me a ride to the hotel!!! Her husband came and picked us up and they gave me a tour of DC and all the sights! They were so nice! I took a million pictures and so appreciated them doing that for me!Fast forward, I meet the 51 other Peace Corps volunteers who are going to Costa Rica....they are all AWESOME! I am really loving getting to know all of these people and going through orientation. I've already been a drug dealer and a presenter (long stories!). I am just so happy right now and also very delirious from no sleep. We checked out of the hotel at 1:30 AM and left on the buses at 2:00 AM and then our flight to Miami was at 6:00 AM and then we got another flight to Costa Rica!!! It's been a very very long 48 hours! I, who can never take naps or sleep on planes, was able to snooze (with the help of dramamine and my sleep mask) on both flights!


So before I knew it, I had finally made it. I feel really supported by all of the staff and other volunteers. I am so so so excited about learning Spanish!!! It's all around me and I love it! We are on a retreat right now and it is actually very nice! We leave on Sunday and I don't know when I'll have internet again! And I am also feeling very very very lucky that I was able to do this. There are a lot of volunteers here that have waited years to finally go somewhere! Me? It was smooth sailing and I actually got called to leave early! This is just all too awesome! I've found friends who love Apples to Apples, get carsick and wear the special bracelet, and those that love Lost! These are my kind of people!

And the food is really good, too! Very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment